Monday, September 28, 2015

I'll be Governor of Oyo State one day - Adebayo Shittu

By Jeremiah Oke

Adebayo Shittu, a lawyer, was the Oyo State governorship candidate of the defunct Congress for Progressives Change (CPC) in 2007 and 2011 elections. In this interview with Jeremiah Oke, he speaks on the Buhari administration and the challenges facing the Oyo State All Progressives Congress (APC).

Why did you take your party to court?

The original intention of the parties that came together to form the APC was to be equal partners, particularly when it comes to constituting the executives at both national and state levels. But, that principle was not adhered to. If you look at the party’s caretaker committee at inception, you will see that CPC was not fairly represented. I am particularly concerned about the composition of the executives in Oyo State, which is my primary constituency. We were sidelined by the governor and other party stakeholders. Before the party congress, the governor invited us and urged us to agree with some arrangements of the party and that he would find ways to compensate those of us in CPC and ANPP. He said he doesn’t want elections to hold and that members of the executives would be adopted by consensus. As a result, some members of ANPP had to leave the party for Labour party because they felt marginalised. Myself and numerous of CPC supporters elected to remain in the party because of our commitment to General Buhari. I cannot lead my supporters out of the party because I have been with Buhari for decades. As a member of the merger committee, I participated actively in bringing about the birth of APC. So, no one can chase me out of the party. Now, our agitation is that since most of the ANPP members have left the fold, we in the CPC should be given 40 per cent of the positions at various levels, starting from ward, local government and state level because we are all over the place. But, the governor refused, arguing that some people might still come up to claim that they belong to the defunct ANPP. Rather, he said he would other ways to take care of us. Unfortunately for us, we did not agree on a specific percentage. The governor gave us his words, but he added that nobody should think the APC is his own property. Secondly, he said the chapter would be fair to our members, particularly by rotating of chairmanship and secretary position within the merged parties. Thirdly, he said if any leader of ACN brings any list which is unfair to us, he will correct it by himself. But, here we are today, no fair play. We are now calling on the national working committee to help us in Oyo State.

Did you approach the national executive before you resorted to the court action?

Yes, I did. I went to court after writing the national leadership without reply. I discovered that the governor was untouchable then. But, now that the party is reviewing and settling issues in-house, I believe so much in the leadership, especially President Buhari, Senator Bola Tinubu, as well as the National Chairman, Chief John Oyegun. I am sure they are working on our issues here in Oyo State too.

Would this not affect the party in subsequent elections?

The good thing is that we have Muhammadu Buhari as the President of this great country. It is the Buhari factor that binds everybody together. This is to the extent that even none APC members are backing the party for that reason. After the 2015 election, many of the opposition parties are now moving to join the change we are clamouring for and some of them have pledged their support for us. I believe that the Buhari magic will continue to work for us and nothing can affect the unity of our party. I am confident that with his anti corruption mantra, his antecedents and the confidence that Nigerians now repose in him, he will succeed.

Do you share the view of those who call President Buhari baba go slow?

This is slow and steady government. That should capture President Buhari’s style of government. To start with, he has not disappointed Nigerians. They expected a thorough-bred politician who will take his time to plan very well with a view to attending to the challenges of governance. The first challenge if you agree with me is the issue of insurgency in the Northeast. Undoubtedly, he has given a lot of encouragement to the military at the war front and we are beginning to see the result. For instance, you can see that the insurgents are resorting to guerrilla tactics. Also, with the new service chiefs, Buhari will succeed in crushing Boko Haram soon. Secondly, in his anti-corruption struggle, honestly Nigerians are pleased with him. For the first time, we have a President who is saying anybody who steals will face the music even if he is from his party. Nigerians are happy about this. The EFCC had been in hibernation because they had no support of the previous government, but now they are active.

Thirdly, with his visit to the United States of America and some European countries. Certainly, we are optimistic that our economy will begin to pick up again. On our debtors, we have had many promises from international communities that they will return those monies in their respective country. Foreign investors have also emphatically promised to come and invest in our economy to help address the issue of unemployment. Buhari is also trying to curb wastages in the system. At 73, Buhari has no new house to build, he has no new wife to marry and he is not interested in amassing wealth; all he is concerned about is to transform the lives of Nigerians positively.

Are you saying American support is not for selfish interest as some Nigerians insist?

Those who are saying that are enemies of Nigeria and they are saying it for their selfish interest. Anytime they are on holidays, they will like to go to America, if they can get a visa. We refuse to appreciate that America is one of the major countries of the world. For instance, our democracy is modeled after that of America. We also try to make our children attend American schools. Many foreign investors are also coming into Nigeria from America. In terms of agriculture and sophisticated technological equipment, we need them. They have willingly agreed to come to our rescue and there is no reason for us to doubt them. I don’t think it lies in our mouth to criticise America. Besides, anybody who has a better alternative from America should step forward and approach Mr. President. But, if not, let us support him in his quest to move Nigeria forward.

With the power struggle among your members in the National Assembly, do you think Buhari will get the needed support from them?

Let me start with the statement of Mr. President that he was ready to work with anybody who emerged as the leadership of the two chambers. God guided him to come out with such resolution. That does not translate to the fact that he did not support the party decision, but he knew that both camps were loyal to him. But, you will see more collaboration between the Federal Government and the National Assembly for betterment of Nigeria soon.

You’ve contested for governorship twice, are you still interested in governing Oyo State?

By the grace of God, I will be governor one day. I believe it will be sooner than later. President Buhari tried it and succeeded only in his fourth attempt. I am sure if I try it for the third time, I will make it. If you look at my antecedent, you will agree that I have what it takes to rule the state. I was a member of the state House of Assembly between 1979 and 1983 and I was an active member of the assembly. With all sense of humility, I am proud to say that I was one of the colleagues of Governor Ajimobi’s father in the assembly in 1979. He was a respected father to me. I received all the encouragement from him. In 1983, I became a commissioner. I was commissioner for home affairs tourism and culture and if you ask people who know me then, they will tell you that I was a formidable member of the state executive. My governor them was Omololu Olunloyo and he can testify to the fact that I was the eyes and ears of his government. Again, I recall that all the commissioners who were my colleagues referred people to me for employment and I did my best. Towards the tail-end of Ladoja’s regime, I was appointed as the Attorney- General and Commissioner for Justice and when he was unlawfully removed from office, I played an active role to ensure that justice was done. So, I have more than enough experience to rule the state. I am looking up to 2019, which I believe to be my year of divine transformation. I will run and become the governor of this great state. My prayer all the time is to become the governor and care for the needy. If truly God likes the poor masses of this state, he will make me governor because I really want to help my people.

No comments:

Post a Comment